You can now earn £5 off our recycled plastic running tops in the Lonely Goat Running Club shop, by recycling or rehoming your old tops – a project we’re calling ‘Re-Goat‘.
We love running kit.
Decent running kit allows us to be comfortable and enjoy running without any distractions. What we wear can also identify us being members of a club – such as Lonely Goat Running Club. We think that’s important, as that sense of belonging can be a great motivator.
However, we also recognise there are problems with the production and eventual disposal of running kit – as there is with other clothes we wear.
Predominantly, running kit and exercise clothing is made from man-made fabrics derived from non-renewable, petroleum-based sources, such as polyester. Petroleum extraction can cause environmental problems, and as it’s a finite resource, it will eventually run out.
To try and reduce the harmful effects of using virgin polyester, our Lonely Goat club tops are made from a fabric called Repreve, created from recycled plastic.
We’re proud of this, and think it’s a great step forward in our goal to be a more sustainable organisation, but it doesn’t address the problem of what happens to all that kit when we no longer want it.
Reduce, reuse, recycle
Throwing old kit into the bin, where it will end up as landfill, is not a great thing to do. Instead, we ask you to consider the three Rs:
- Reduce – use less kit by only buying what you need;
- Reuse – look after your kit so it lasts longer, or pass it onto someone else for them to enjoy;
- Recycle – if an item is truly at the end of it’s life, then put it in a fabric recycling bin, not landfill.
By following these principles, we can all reduce some of the negative environmental effects of our running.
Of course, sometimes doing the right thing can be harder than doing the wrong thing. It’s so much easier to put something in the bin, rather than pass it on to a new home, or recycle it.
We recognise this, which is why we’ve launched Re-Goat.
This is our incentive scheme to encourage members of Lonely Goat Running Club to either find a new home for your old running tops, or to place them in a fabric recycling bin, by giving you £5 off the range of Repreve recycled plastic running tops in our club shop.
How it works
We’ve tried to keep things as simple as possible.
Upload a photo of you either rehoming your old running kit (by giving it to someone else, or donating it to a charity shop, for example), or recycling it (by putting it in a fabric recycling bin), and we will give you a £5 online voucher to be used in the Lonely Goat shop on our Repreve club tops.
That’s all there is to it.
Who can I give my old running tops to?
Perhaps the easiest and most straightforward way of rehoming your old running tops is to give them to a friend or family member. Perhaps they’ve just started running and don’t fancy splashing out on new clothes? A couple of pre-loved items of yours might be just the thing to get them going.
Alternatively, you can donate items to a charity shop. This has a dual benefit as not only does it provide the opportunity for someone else to bag themselves a bargain, but it can also raise money for a cause close to your heart.
Also, there are some organisations who collect unwanted sports kits and give it to people that need it – either in your own country, or elsewhere. You might never know where it ends up, but your old running kit could end up making a positive difference.
Finally, if your old top has reached the end of it’s usable life-span, you can drop it off at a fabric recycling bin. It depends on where you live, but these might be provided by the local authority, or benefit a charity. A quick Google should reveal the bin locations closest to you.
Whichever option you choose, we don’t mind. All are eligible for a £5 Re-Goat reward.
How do I Re-Goat my old kit?
There’s just three steps:
- Take a photo of you rehoming or recycling your old running tops.
- Submit that photo using the online form at the Re-Goat page on our website.
- Receive a £5 online gift voucher to be used in the Lonely Goat shop on our Repreve recycled plastic running tops.
That’s all there is to it.
The small print
There’s a few terms and conditions to be aware of:
- We’re launching this on an honesty basis, as we want to encourage members to think about what happens with their kit when they’re finished with it.
- You can Re-Goat any running kit, not just Lonely Goat kit. We’ve launched this with running tops in mind, but all kit is eligible.
- Re-Goat is limited to one £5 gift voucher per member, to be used on our range of Repreve recycled plastic running tops.
- Unless you specify otherwise, we may use your photos and details to promote Re-Goat on our website or social media channels.
- If you have any questions, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for reading. Now get Re-Goating!